The Cherokee School hereby notifies each student and the parents of their right to inspect and review the student’s education records under the Federal Family Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA).
- The right of a student’s parents and eligible students to inspect and review the student’s education records.
- The intent of the Cherokee School District to limit the disclosure of information contained in a student’s education records except: 1) by the prior written consent of the student’s parent of the eligible student, 2) as directory inform action, or 3) under certain limited circumstances, as permitted, by the FERPA.
- The right of a student’s parent or an eligible student to seek correct parts of the student’s education record which he or she believes to be inaccurate, misleading or in violation of student rights. This right includes the right to a hearing to present evidence that the record should be changed if the district decides not to alter it according to the parent or eligible student’s request.
- The right of any person to file a complaint with the Department of Health, Education and Welfare if the Waynoka School District violated the FERPA.
- Parents and eligible student should come to the Principal office to obtain copies of the policy and information as to the correct procedure to follow in requesting action about a student’s records. Copies of this policy are located in the Principal and/or Superintendent offices. The district will arrange to provide translations of this notice to non-English speaking parents in their native language.